"It All Goes Down"
Simone (standing over a groggy Corey still in bed): I want to go to counseling.
Corey: It is
too early in the morning for this.
Simone reached down and
snatched the covers off Corey’s body
Simone: Get
up. We need to talk.
Corey calmly got out of bed
and pulled on a pair of sweat pants. He went into the bathroom to brush his
teeth then came back into the room and sat down on the bed.
Simone: We
can’t keep going like this, Corey.
Corey: You’re
right about that much.
Simone (almost pleading): Why can’t things go back to
the way they used to be?
Corey: Simone,
sit down. Listen to me.
Simone (near tears): What could you possibly have
to say?
Corey: I was
never really happy with things the way they used to be. I am not the kind of
man who can live under a woman’s thumb. I have to be able to be me.
Simone (angrily): And you can’t do that with
me?!
Corey (shaking his head): This isn’t getting us
anywhere. I don’t want to argue with you, Simone. I’m pretty sure it won’t
help, but if it’s what you need so we can start taking steps to some solutions
that will work I will go to counseling with you.
Simone (smiling): Thank you!!!
Corey smiled back and leaned
over to give her a hug
Corey: Don’t
you have a party to get ready for? You and Carter should be getting out of here
soon.
Simone pranced happily out of
the bedroom, glad things had gone her way once again. Corey acted up sometimes,
but he always came back home.
Once Simone was out of
earshot Corey picked up his cellphone from his nightstand and made a call.
Corey: Hello?
Patience: Hey.
What’s up?
Corey: Did I
wake you up? I’m sorry.
Patience: Nope.
I’m up. No grown folks other than yourself try to stay in the bed until noon,
Corey.
They both laughed
Patience: I’m
glad you called though. I’ve been thinking about something I need to tell you.
Corey (smiling): I’m all ears.
Patience hesitated, and Corey
could almost hear the wheels turning in her mind
Patience: When
I went away to school I was pregnant with our child
Corey
sat in stunned silence for a while before the line went dead
----------
Asha: Tell me
again why I’m being dragged along on this incredibly important meeting?
Natalia: You
just said it yourself. This is incredibly important. Why wouldn’t I want my
roommate with me?
Asha gave Natalia a look
Asha: Save it.
What’s really going on?
Natalia: This
is going to be my first time meeting Deondre in person, and I’m kinda nervous.
Elijah’s not going to be there.
Asha: What
about Dominique?
Natalia laughed
Natalia: She’s
not coming either. She said she’s going to some party, and from the sounds of
it Elijah’s going too so he can babysit her ass.
Asha laughed too
Asha: You got
her in trouble!
Natalia: I
did not get her in trouble! She’s trying to keep all the old skeletons in the
closet and something must’ve fell out
Asha (shocked): What happened?!
Natalia: I
don’t even know! I was an innocent victim in the room while they were sending
subliminal “I know what you’ve been up to” messages to each other. Awkward as
all hell.
Asha (shaking her head): I wonder what he found out.
Natalia (pulling into the parking lot at the large
office building): Let her
tell it she had “come across” Deondre before – back when what she was doing
could only barely be considered modeling – and she didn’t tell Elijah about it.
She said she didn’t even remember him! Apparently that’s what he and Deondre
were talking about at the reunion, and that’s why he was acting all pissy with
me.
Asha: And he
didn’t mention that he knew until that night?!
Natalia: I
don’t know! I’m not their sheets or their wallpaper!
Asha (laughing): You were that day!
Natalia shook her head and
smiled sheepishly
Natalia: Damn.
Ya got me there.
Asha: We’d
better get inside and get this show on the road
Natalia (putting a hand on Asha’s shoulder): Actually, I think I’m good
to go up by myself.
Asha: You
sure?
Natalia (nodding): Yeah. Thank you SO much for
using part of your day off to come up here with me though. You’re the best
roomie ever!
Natalia got out of the car
and smoothed down her skirt. She marched purposefully up the stairs and into
the lobby where someone at a large circular desk directed her to the elevator.
She rode up to the 7th floor in silence, throwing up prayers and anything else
she hoped would be helpful. She was so nervous and preoccupied with her own
thoughts she almost missed her floor.
Natalia: Good
morning. I have an appointment to see Mr. Garey. The name is Natalia.
The man at the desk made a
phone call and Deondre came out shortly after.
Deondre (reaching for Natalia’s hand): Natalia?
Natalia: Yes.
Good to finally meet you, Mr. Garey.
Deondre (chuckling): I’m Mr. Garey now? Don’t let
the glass doors fool you. This meeting will only be slightly different than the
ones we’ve had over the phone.
Natalia smiled
Deondre: Follow
me to the studio. I want you to sing for some people.
Natalia walked behind
Deondre, linking her fingers together nervously. She’d managed to pull her hair
into a ponytail for a sleek look, but now she was beginning to think the
snatch-back was the culprit for the headache she felt coming on. No use
dwelling on that now. Time to go in this booth and go get everything she’s been
working for.
Deondre (holding the door open): Go ahead. These guys don’t
bite.
Stranger #1: We
just want to take a listen
Stranger #2 (leering at her): And a look
The three guys and lone woman
sitting in the control room laughed and Natalia defiantly held her head up and
walked in. She marched straight into the booth and threw her powerhouse voice
out to the group.
Natalia: This here is not a love song/though my heart is
all in it/and my words are strong/This couldn’t be further from a love
song/it’s more like the tale of a woman who’s been done wrong
Deondre: That’s
enough, Natalia
He turned to the group and
grinned. The guys were nodding and the woman was writing down some notes
Deondre: Can
we get to work now?
Female Stranger: Are
you sure about this, Deondre?
Deondre: Not
convinced yet, Tara? One more, Natalia.
Natalia: I can't sing a song without a melody/just like I can't sleep at night without you next to me/I can't sing a song without a melody/just like I can't take the fact that there's no more you and me
Tara (raising an eyebrow): And she writes these songs herself?
Tara (raising an eyebrow): And she writes these songs herself?
Deondre: Yep.
We might as well not even fight about it and just go ahead and get started. I
want to start her slow but soon.
Tara (tapping her pen on the table): Alright. I’m in.
Deondre (shooting Tara a smile): What about the rest of you?
Reggie? Gavin? TJ? Ya’ll in?
Gavin: She’s
going to be a dream to dress, so I’m definitely in
Reggie and TJ looked at each
other and busted out laughing
Reggie: Yeah,
man. We’re in.
TJ: Talk to
your boy about getting the papers drawn up.
Deondre:
Natalia? Welcome to the Get Right Music family. We’re going to take real good
care of you.
----------
Fitted was the culmination of everything Corynne had ever dreamed of. Every
retail job she’d ever had added up to the boutique she ran downtown. Business
had been going well, according to her accountant, and she’d recently been thinking
about expanding a little bit.
Kelvin: I
have to tell you, Ms. Corynne, I don’t normally entertain business meetings on
weekends.
Corynne: So,
this is a favor for old time’s sake?
Kelvin (smiling slyly): Something like that
Corynne: Well,
whatever it is, I’ll take it. Believe it or not, I need your help.
Kelvin: And
here I thought I was here because of my good looks
Corynne (coyly): That might be part of the
bonus package
Kelvin (chuckling): Is that right?
Corynne: Stop
trying to distract me from this business. I need a new space.
Kelvin looked around the
boutique, running his hands over a shirt on a black, faceless mannequin
Kelvin: What’s
wrong with the space you have now? This is a prime downtown location. What more
could you possibly want?
Corynne came around from
behind the cashier’s counter and tapped a finger on a glass display
Corynne: There’s
nothing wrong with this space. I love it, as a matter of fact, but I want
something where I can have my boutique and a studio all under the same roof. I
don’t want to keep doing consults and fittings out of my condo.
Kelvin: Maybe
I should take a look around your condo
Corynne: Very
funny. I’m wondering if I should consider a loft for my styling and designing
only and keep this place for the retail business
Kelvin (suddenly all business): That sounds like a better
idea. Did you have a specific area in mind?
Corynne: I
don’t want to be consulting and meeting with clients just anywhere, but I want
to be somewhere outside of downtown – away from the hustle and bustle and all
the noise.
Kelvin: What
about on the beach?
Corynne (wrinkling up her nose): Naaaahhh. Too serene. I
wouldn’t be able to concentrate.
Kelvin (laughing): I’ll look into a couple
places for you. I hope you can afford my finder’s fee
Corynne(looking him in the eye): I’m sure we’ll be able to
negotiate something.
Kelvin: In
that case, I’ll get right on it. Off the top of my head I can think of a nice
location just outside downtown. It’s not far from the barbershop I own, as a
matter of fact.
Corynne’s phone rings
Corynne (holding her finger up): That sounds like a good
place to start. Let’s schedule a time and date when I can come take a look. I
have to take this.
Corynne stepped back behind
the counter and lowered her voice a bit
Corynne: Hello?
Deondre: Hey,
baby. I know you’ve missed me.
Corynne (smiling): Maybe I have. Maybe I
haven’t.
Deondre: Well
while you’re figuring it out I’ve got a job for you. Think you can swing by my
office in about an hour?
Corynne looked over at Kelvin,
who was browsing through a rack of jeans
Corynne: I
think that can be arranged. Let me call you back.
Corynne put her phone in a
compartment under the counter and went over to join Kelvin
Corynne: Do
you need some help over here?
Kelvin turned around with a
smile on his face
Kelvin: You’ve
done pretty well for yourself over here, Corynne. I’m surprised. Who knew you
had a mind for business!
Corynne: I
learned a little somethin’ despite all that time spent torturing the halls of
King High.
They both laughed
Kelvin: I
mean it. This is pretty impressive.
Corynne: Well,
thank you. I’m glad you like it.
Kelvin: Listen,
I’m meeting Cruz and Elijah at Sal’s for drinks later tonight. You wanna join
us?
Corynne: Why
would I want to come hang out with a bunch of men all night?
Kelvin: Come
on! It’ll be fun! They want to unwind after Destiny’s baby shower today.
Besides, since when can’t you hang with the fellas?
Corynne thought for a moment
then smiled
Corynne: Fine.
I’ll meet y’all there. Don’t get all drunk before I show up though!
Kelvin
(laughing): I can’t promise that. I’ll
see you out there later though.
----------
Centerpieces with pink, yellow, green and blue balloons were on all the
tables in the room, along with plastic safety pins scattered along with
confetti and diaper-shaped place cards. Curled ribbon and party streamers hung
daintily across the walls, and there was a table once stuffed to capacity with
gifts in bags, boxes and baskets – now all that was left was scraps of gift wrapping
and things Cruz and Elijah would be loading into the truck soon.
Simone: I
want to thank each and every one of you for coming out today. Destiny is my
best friend, and the little love bug she’s carrying there is my god baby, so it
makes me especially happy to see this new chapter in her life taking form and
putting such a smile on her face. Now, I am not her official spokesperson – her
husband would likely kill me if I tried anything like that – but I think it’s
safe to say this family loves you all their whole heart. We thank you all again
for coming here today and sharing in this day of celebration.
The shower guests applaud and
start milling about, socializing before making tasteful exits. Destiny waddled
over to Simone, barely holding back tears.
Destiny: That
was a beautiful speech, Simone, and this was a beyond beautiful shower. Thank
you so much!
Simone gave her friend a hug.
Simone: Don’t
start crying! It was nothing. I put a few little things together, but mostly
your sponsors from your beauty blog kicked in and made this a real party!
Destiny (laughing): Yeah, you’ve gone and turned
me into a mini-hometown celebrity!
Simone: Right?!
When’s the last time someone had guests getting prettied and pampered at their
baby shower?
Destiny (grinning from ear to ear): That was my favorite part! I
was sure the surprises you were talking about would be more like “ka-boom!”
than like “woosah” though.
Simone: Well,
I’m glad you’ve enjoyed yourself. My work here is done!
Simone and Destiny laughed as
Destiny grabbed onto a chair and lowered herself down.
Simone: You
catch your breath. I’m gonna go say goodbye to a few more guests.
Destiny leaned back in the
chair and closed her eyes as Simone walked away. When Destiny opened her eyes
again Dominique was standing in front of her.
Dominique: Destiny?
Did you need anything? I’d be happy to help.
Destiny (sitting up in the chair): I do need something, as a
matter of fact.
Dominique (gesturing toward the remnants of a good time
littering the room): What can I
do?
Destiny
(patting the chair next to
hers): Sit with
me a minute. I’d like to talk.
Dominique:
Sure. What’s up?
Destiny: I’ll get right to the
point. What does Kelvin have on you that Elijah doesn’t know about?
Dominique (smiling sweetly): I appreciate you being
direct, and I respect how much you and your husband care about Elijah. With
that said, I hope you can understand my saying this to you: mind your business.
You don’t know much about me. Trust me you want to keep it that way.
----------
Meeting Deondre in his office turned out to be one hell of a job. He got
down to business almost immediately – right on his desk, then on his chair
shortly after. Corynne nearly forgot she’d agreed to meet Kelvin for drinks.
Pleasurable romps with Deondre were fun, but this was business.
Deondre:
In this office we puts in work!
Corynne
(buttoning her shirt): Mmph. While you’re patting
yourself on the back you do realize you didn’t tell me what you actually called
me over here for, right?
Deondre:
How you know this ain’t what I called you over here for?
Corynne
(stepping into her shoes and
walking toward Deondre’s desk to get her purse): Because you used the word “job,”
and honey I certainly didn’t charge you a fee.
Deondre
laughed
Corynne: I
don’t have time to go over it now, though. I’ve got another meeting tonight.
Call me and let me know what you need.
Corynne
walked out the door and was barely into her car and out of the parking lot
before her cell phone rang
Corynne:
That was quick. Need another piece already?
Deondre
(laughing): Nah, not like that – unless you’re
offering
Corynne:
Deondre, what do you want?!
Deondre
(laughing harder): Ok! Look. I really did call
you because I have a job for you.
Corynne:
I’m listening
Deondre:
We just picked up a new artist at the label, and I want you to style her.
Corynne:
I thought you already had an inside guy
Deondre:
We do. I want you to work with Gavin on this one. Seems like she might need a
different touch.
Corynne
(turning down her street): Set up a meeting with her
and I’ll let you know. I ain’t forgot y’all didn’t want to give me a chance
when I first started styling
Deondre:
You were fresh out of school! We needed somebody with some experience
Corynne:
Please
Deondre:
For real! We couldn’t all be up and coming!
Corynne:
Whatever you say. I’ve got to get ready for my meeting. Call me when you’re
ready to schedule something with your new artist.
Deondre:
Alright.
Corynne
ended her call with Deondre then went inside to shower and get ready to have
drinks with Kelvin, Cruz and Elijah. She dressed carefully (drinks with the
fellas could be tricky) and headed out the door. By the time she arrived at Sal’s
there were crowds of people sitting at tables having drinks and dinner while
enjoying what looked like a burlesque show. Patience spotted Kelvin and the
guys over at the bar, and it looked like they’d had quite the head start on
her.
Cruz:
It’s too soon for all that, man!
Elijah:
No no no no no no. I’m not talking about getting married. Geeez! I’m just
saying I think we should take the next step!
Cruz:
You guys already live together. If you’re not talking about getting married,
what the hell is the next step?
Kelvin:
He don’t know! This fool is blinded by all that booty!
Cruz
started to laugh
Elijah:
Shut up! Y’all don’t know!
Cruz
(slapping Elijah on the
shoulder): It’s cool,
man. We understand.
Elijah:
You don’t understand! I think I love this girl.
Kelvin:
Don’t do all that
Elijah:
I do! There’s nothing else to say, man. I love her.
Kelvin
(slurring): Bruh, you can’t love her. That’s
everybody’s friend for a small fee!
Cruz
and Elijah were silent. Staring at Kelvin in shock, the other two didn’t even
notice when Corynne walked up.
Kelvin: I took her with me on a
couple of missions, and I know I ain’t the only one she knows like that.
----------
Patience was spending her Saturday night doing the only thing a girl in her
position could do. She was out on an impromptu first date with Will. He was
just what she needed to take her mind off the madness that was becoming her
life.
Will:
So, not that I’m not glad to be here having coffee with you, but what made you
finally decide to call?
Patience
(laughing): I just figured it would be
nice to try something new!
Will:
I’m something new, huh? I guess I can handle that.
Patience:
Aww! I didn’t mean it like that!
Will:
So I guess the dude you were with when I met you is old news
As
Will trailed off Patience looked down. Her cell phone was vibrating in her
purse, likely with another call or text from Corey. He had been trying to get
in contact with her all day – ever since he hung up on her that morning when she
told him about their baby. When the buzzing in her purse subsided, Patience
held her head up and smiled.
Patience:
He is definitely old news. So, Mr. New, tell me more about you. Your card says
you’re a media consultant. What does that mean?
Will:
It means I’m a glorified PR agent
Patience
(laughing): I see! Is that exciting
work?
Patience’s
cell phone started vibrating again
Will:
Do you need to get that? It’s been going off all night. Maybe someone is having
an emergency.
Patience
hesitated then excused herself from the table
Patience
(hissing into the phone): What do you want?!
Corey:
I have been calling you all day!
Patience:
Right, after you hung up on me.
Corey:
I’m sorry. I had to. Simone came in the room and when she heard me on the phone
she flipped out.
Patience:
I bet. Convenient timing.
Corey:
Patience, please don’t do this. Tell me about the baby. I’ve been thinking
about this all day.
Patience:
I really can’t do this now, Corey. I’m out having a good time.
Corey:
Just tell me what happened! I have a right to know!
Will
had come outside and was giving Patience a look, mouthing “are you ok?” and
holding the door open for her to come back inside.
Patience
(near tears): Corey, I really don’t want
to hear about whatever rights you think you have. What we had was just a summer
fling; remember you said that?
Corey:
That was in the beginning!
Patience:
So, when I got pregnant I went and did what I had to do. What you have with
Simone must be “true love,” because when she got pregnant you married her. Stop
trying to make this “friendship” something it’s not and stay at home with your
wife and family.
Corey
was silent for a moment. He swallowed hard before saying his next words.
No comments:
Post a Comment