Monday, August 6, 2012

Episode Five


One Hell of a Hangover


Will: Well, Ms. Patience, this has been a wonderful evening, as always. I’ve had such a good time I’m actually sad it has to come to an end.
Will made a pouting face at Patience, who laughed and shook her head at him
Patience: I had a good time too! Thank you for inviting me. Who knows when I would have ever gone salsa dancing if you hadn’t suggested it.
Will: Exactly. Nice to know you can move a little bit too! One more dinner and a movie date and I would have started wondering how you keep such a nice shape!
Patience (smiling): Stop it. I do more than just eat and watch movies, and you know it!
Will (laughing): I know it now!
Will pulled Patience into an embrace and stroked her hair. They stood on her stoop for a few minutes just breathing in the beach air.
Patience: This was good.
Will: This was very good. I knew things with you would keep getting better.
Will lifted Patience’s chin, tilting her lips toward him, and kissed her gently just once
Will: We’ve both got early mornings tomorrow, but I do want to see you again.
Patience: You will.
Patience started rummaging in her purse for her keys and Will took hold of her shoulders
Will (looking Patience in her eyes): Soon.
Patience nodded and Will kissed her again then stepped aside to let her open the gate to her building
Will: I’ll call you.
Patience: I know you will.
Patience walked away laughing and Will watched.
When she got to the top of the stairs and inside her apartment, Patience pulled her phone out and dropped her purse by the door. A red light was flashing on the display indicating voice mail alerts.
Corynne (voicemail): Caaaaalllllll meeeeeeee. Do not go to bed without calling me, unless you’re going to bed with your new man. If that’s the case, CALL ME AS SOON AS Y’ALL FINISH! Dates two weekends in a row and now a weeknight kick it? I’m gonna need to know what’s really going on over there! Call me soon. Bye, girl.
Patience shook her head and laughed
*delete*
Corey (voicemail): Patience. It’s me, again. I know you’re getting my text messages. I know you’re getting my emails. I’ve been trying to give you some space, but at the same time you and I both know we need to talk. I’d prefer we do that face to face. You can’t keep avoiding me. Why don’t you meet me at The Abalone Grill for a late lunch tomorrow? I want to see you. I want to get everything worked out. You don’t have to call me back or let me know you’re coming. I’ll be waiting around 1 o’clock whether you decide to show up or not. Ball’s in your court, Patience. See you tomorrow – I hope.
Patience sat in silence for what felt like forever, biting her lip, fighting back tears and trying to decide whether to listen to the message again or delete it and go bed. The phone beeped and slightly startled her. Patience looked down to see a text message coming in.
Text message from Will: We really did have a great time tonight. I think something may be developing here! I meant what I said. I want to see you again soon, and I want to hear from you even before that! LOL. Sweet dreams, Pretty Lady…as long as they’re of me.
----------
Bright and early the next morning…

The moving and shaking going on in the living room of the small apartment roused Asha from her sleep. She’d worked a double the day before and was scheduled to go in again tonight. She’d planned to sleep-in then run down to the community college to check some things out before her shift. Sleeping-in was impossible, though, with the noisy giggling happening outside her bedroom door.


Asha (shuffling into the living room): What the hell is going on in here? Nat, I thought you were meeting with that stylist today. Aren’t you going to be late?
Dominique (shifting to sit upright on the couch): Hi, Asha. Sorry if we woke you. Natalia was actually getting ready to leave and I tried to make a quick breakfast. It’s safe to say cooking is not one of my strong points.
Asha (grumpily): You can’t cook, you barely clean, and you wake people up when they’re trying to sleep-in before work. We’re gonna have no trouble at all gettin’ you married off.
Natalia (laughing): Awwww, Asha!
Natalia walked over and gave her roommate a hug
Natalia: Dom’s not all that bad. We’ll get her polished up and shipped back out in no time.
Dominique (snippily): *ahem* I can manage my own affairs from here, thankyoubothverymuch
Asha: Then how come Elijah’s still not answering your calls?
Dominique glared at Asha
Natalia: Girls! Girls! Put away the claws! Dominique, chill out. Elijah will call. In the meantime, find something to do with yourself, and try to stay out of Asha’s way. Asha, you’re the greatest. Thanks a bunch for letting Dom crash here for a while until she gets things figured out. She’ll stay out of your way while she’s here. I’m sure of it.
Natalia looked at Dominique and Asha then picked up her knapsack. She was headed toward the door when Dominique’s cell phone rang
Dominique: It’s Elijah.
Dominique slowly lowered herself down onto the couch, and Natalia and Asha both shuffled over and sat down, staring at her expectantly
Dominique: What?!
Natalia: Answer it, Fool!
Asha rolled her eyes as Dominique answered the call
Dominique (hesitantly): Hello?
Elijah: We need to talk
Dominique (clearing her throat): I agree.
Elijah: Are you available today?
Dominique looked at Asha and Natalia sitting on either side of her, eagerly looking on
Dominique: I guess now’s as good a time as any
Elijah paused for a moment then sighed
Elijah: This isn’t something I want to do over the phone.
Dominique (glancing at Natalia and Asha looking on):  Me either. Maybe we can meet for lunch.
Elijah (chuckling maliciously): Haven’t had a decent meal since you left here, huh? 
Dominique (huffily): That’s not true at all. I am well taken care of where I am.
Elijah: Whatever that means. Yeah, we can have lunch. Meet me at that spot off Beach Boulevard with the shrimp salad you like.
Dominique (smiling): Ok. I can be there in a couple hours.
Dominique stood up from the couch and motioned to Natalia, obviously excited, thinking a reunion must be in the works
Elijah: I’ll see you there. And, Dominique?
Dominique: Yes, Eli?
Elijah: Make sure you bring the keys to my apartment.
----------

Downtown in her boutique, Corynne was setting up a rack of clothes to pull from while styling Natalia. Deondre had sent her some of the girl’s music, so Corynne was trying to put together a few looks that matched her sound. She was biting her lip and contemplating a cargo skirt when she heard tapping at the front door.


Corynne (slightly startled): Kelvin!
Corynne unlocked the door and let him in, shaking her head and making a face the entire time
Corynne: This better be good news. I don’t have time for anything else.
Kelvin (laughing): No “good morning?” No “how are you doing today, Kelvin?” Damn!
Corynne: Pleasantries while money is at stake? No thanks. What’s going on?
Kelvin: I’ve got a place I can show you today.
Corynne: You had to come all the way down here for that? A phone call would have sufficed, I’m sure.
Kelvin: Yeah, but I wanted to add a personal touch. You can ride with me to the location, then we can get lunch or something after.
Corynne: Oh, I see. You came down here with that proposal because you knew I’d hang up on me if you dropped it in a phone conversation.
Kelvin (laughing): You are so damn mean! It’s just one lunch. I promise I’ll be on my best behavior.
Corynne: I generally don’t mix business with anything else, but you seem like you might need a little incentive. Here’s what we’ll do. If this spot you have to show me meets my needs we can have lunch right after.
Kelvin: Done.
Corynne: But it’s only lunch! Don’t give yourself any funny ideas. I’m not looking for any complications right now.
Kelvin (raising an eyebrow): Have I ever been what you would consider “complicated?”
Corynne laughed and Kelvin carried on perusing items in the shop. Corynne looked down at her watch and sucked her teeth
Corynne: So, where is this secret location you want to show me?
Kelvin: It’s over in the Karana Cove part of town
A grin spread across Corynne’s face
Corynne: I like the sound of this already.
Corynne was seeing dollar signs dancing in front of her eyes and thinking about the clientele she could access in the new neighborhood when Natalia knocked on the boutique door
Natalia (breezing in): I am so sorry I’m late! I had roommate drama, and then my car wouldn’t start, and everything was just a big ol’ mess. I swear I’m not a diva or anything like that. I just had a crazy morning!
Corynne and Kelvin both looked at Natalia a little crazy, her wild curls still dancing from her animated arrival
Corynne: Slow down, girl! It’s not that late, and I don’t think you’re a diva -- yet. We’re about to work on that though.
Natalia laughed nervously
Corynne: Go put your stuff down in the back room and we’ll get started with a couple looks I’ve already pulled.
Natalia disappeared into the stock room and Kelvin pretended to be busy looking at a scarf
Corynne: As you can see, I have an appointment, but when I finish up I could meet you at the property you have to show
Kelvin: Nope. Stop trying to cheat me out of my date –
Corynne: It’s not a date
Kelvin: Lunch. Stop trying to cheat me out of my lunch. I can either wait here for you to finish, or I’ll step out for a few and come back when you’re done.
Corynne: Sure thing! I’ll call you when I’m done.                                                                      
Kelvin (smiling mischievously): I’ll wait. You girls just go on like I’m not even here.
----------

Simone: Thank you for keeping Carter for me, Destiny. It’s not like you need the practice or anything, but I have to do something if I’m going to save my marriage.
Destiny: No problem. You know I love having Carter over here. Are you sure you know what you’re doing, though? What if this just makes everything worse?
Simone: It’s not going to make things worse. He said he would go to counseling with me over a week ago and he hasn’t mentioned it since. I just have to show him what he really needs.
Destiny: I hope you’re right.
Simone: I am. I’ve gotta go. His assistant just left so I have to get in there quick if I want to catch him off guard.
Destiny: Alright, girl. Call me and let me know what happens.
Simone: I will.
Destiny: Monie?
Simone: Yeah?
Destiny: Be careful.
Simone disconnected the call and turned her cell phone off. She put sunglasses on and grabbed her purse before getting out of her car then marched toward the building that housed her husband’s law firm. Simone’s expression was serious and her nostrils probably flared as she breezed past the receptionist’s desk and headed straight for his office, where he sat at his desk looking over a contract.
Simone: Corey.
Corey (startled): Simone! What are you doing here?
Simone: I’m here to pick you up
Corey: Did something happen to Carter? Where is he?
Simone: Our son is fine, Husband. He’s staying with Destiny and Cruz for a couple days.
Corey: For a couple days? Simone, what the hell is going on?
Simone: Like I said, I’m here to pick you up. We have an appointment with a marriage counselor in just over an hour.  You can wear that if you want, or we can stop at the house and have you change.
Corey: I don’t have time for this today.
Simone: You’re going to need to make time because I’ve already made the appointment.
Corey: Reschedule it. I have plans.
Simone: Plans, Corey? Do your plans involve your family at all? Remember Carter? The son you love so much? What about me? You said you would come with me to counseling if it’s what I need. Well, it’s what I need, so here I am and we’re going.
Corey dropped his head into his hands and sighed
Corey: Fine, Simone. Let me get some things in order here and I’ll meet you out front.
Simone: I’ll wait right here if it’s all the same to you, thanks.
Simone sat perched on Corey’s desk as he stacked papers together and filed them away in a cabinet then picked up the phone to make a call
Corey: Hey, I’m heading out for a long lunch. Have Kyle get those contracts over to Deondre when she gets back. I don’t know when I’ll be back.
Corey and Simone headed out of the office building and straight to her car, which she had parked directly out front. The ride to the therapist was silent and tense. Corey couldn’t imagine this counseling session would be any better. When Simone parked outside the office and put her hand on Corey’s knee he almost jumped out of his skin.
Simone: We’re in this together.
Corey got out of the car without saying anything and followed Simone into the building
Simone (to the receptionist): We’re here to see Lee Fowler.
Corey and Simone sat down to wait, and the therapist came out to collect them
Lee: Hello, Simone. And you must be Corey.
The three shook hands and exchanged greetings then walked to the therapist’s office
Lee: So, tell me about your relationship.
Simone: We’ve been married for three years, and we have a son named Carter. We’re mostly happy, but lately things have been different.
Lee: Corey, would you say things between you and Simone have been different?
Corey: That would be the understatement of a lifetime. Things between me and Simone are disastrous.
Simone: But that’s why we came here to see you. We’re ready to fix it.
Lee: Is that true? Corey, you just described your relationship with your wife as “a disaster.” Are you here because you’re ready to fix things?
Corey looked down at his hands and shook his head
Corey: I really don’t want to fix anything.
Simone crossed her arms in front of her chest and gave Corey a look
Simone: What does that mean?
Corey: Simone, I told you before I didn’t think this was working. We don’t get along. We want different things. It’s past time for us to just let this go.
Simone: And what about our son?!
Corey: Right now, you have my son locked away at your friend’s house and I don’t know why. All you’re telling me is “he’ll be there for a few days.”
Simone (yelling): That’s because we need to take time to work on our marriage!
Corey: I don’t want to work on this marriage. My heart isn’t in it anymore – it hasn’t been for a long time. I can’t remember whether it ever was.
Simone: This is what I’m talking about. I do everything I can to fix the problems, even make an appointment to come here and see you, but he doesn’t want to do his part!
Lee: Simone, I think what Corey is saying here is important. While in some situations it is ideal when a mother and father are willing to seek help and do the work required to maintain a healthy marriage, it is always a good thing to be honest about your feelings.
Simone: I am being honest about my feelings!
The room was silent for a moment, with Lee and Simone looking expectantly at Corey
Corey: And I’m being honest about mine.
Simone looked at him with contempt
Lee: This was a good first step. Simone, wouldn’t you rather have someone tell you the truth and save you the time and heartache of going through all this if it isn’t going to matter anyway.
Simone was fighting back tears and nodding her head
Corey: I’m sorry, Simone. I truly am. I hope I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just wanted to do the right thing.
Corey stood up and walked out of the therapist’s office. He pulled out his cell phone and called for a cab. While Corey was sitting outside waiting for his ride Simone angrily stormed out and bumped into him on her way to her car.
Simone: I don’t want to see your face at my house, and good luck ever seeing your son again.
Corey started after her to protest but thought better of it. His cab arrived shortly after and he glanced at his watch as he settled into the back seat. It was 1:35
Corey: Can you take me to Abalone Grill off Beach and Main please?
----------

The scene over at the Abalone Grill is starting to look a little bit like class reunion the remix


Elijah: I’m sure you know I have a lot of questions.
Dominique: Like I told you the night you kicked me out, I will answer any and every question you have.
Elijah: Good. First, why didn’t you tell me you knew Kelvin?
Dominique (taking a sip of her peach bellini): I don’t exactly know Kelvin.
Elijah: Don’t do that. You said you were going to be honest.
Dominique: I am being honest. What did he tell you?
Elijah: He told me you’re everybody’s friend for a fee and that you’ve gone with him on a couple missions before
Dominique cringed
Dominique: He makes it sound like more than what it was.
Elijah: So, what was it?
Dominique: Look, before I got legitimate representation and started really modeling, I used to work for an escort service.
Elijah was speechless. He wouldn’t look Dominique in her eyes, but she continued anyway
Dominique: Kelvin’s right, I did a couple jobs with him, but he found me. It wasn’t the other way around. I went with him to some business meetings when he was buying that barber shop. I was just supposed to look good and be quiet. He paid me a pretty penny to do just that.
Elijah: And later on at night?
Dominique glared at Elijah and took another sip of her bellini
Dominique: I was an escort, Elijah, not a prostitute. 
Elijah: So, you’re saying nothing else happened?
Dominique looked Elijah directly in his eyes
Dominique: Nothing else happened. I just did my job.
Elijah: Then why didn’t you tell me about it before now? Why did I have to find out from Kelvin after he’d had too much to drink? In front of Cruz!
Dominique (wriggling uncomfortably):  I’m sorry you found out like that. To tell you the truth –
Elijah (angrily): For once!
Dominique (her voice barely above a whisper): To tell you the truth, I’m sorry you found out at all.
Elijah: Somehow that doesn’t surprise me
Dominique: Elijah, think about it for a second. Would we really have had a chance at a relationship if I had told you I was an escort before?
Elijah (laughing): You’re right, but you still should have told me. That way I could have decided whether I wanted to be with a former escort who knows all my boys.
Dominique: Ok, let’s get a few things straight. First, I don’t “know all your boys.”  Second, Kelvin and Deondre aren’t exactly what I would consider “your boys.” From what you’ve told me, they somewhat terrorized you in high school, and you don’t really like them very much at all. Furthermore, you’re pretty sure the feeling’s mutual.
Elijah: Don’t you see that makes it worse? You’ve had these two laughing in my face and behind my back and I’m the only one that didn’t know why!
Dominique: Elijah, my past doesn’t change who I am. I’m still the same woman you’ve loved being with enough to move in together. The way I see it, you and I could tear up this town together and laugh in their faces, with them knowing exactly why.
Elijah contemplated a moment, and Dominique pulled the keys to his apartment out of her purse and slid them to the middle of the table
Elijah: Is there anything else I don’t know?
Dominique (without a moment’s hesitation): No, there’s nothing else.
Elijah (nodding at the keys): Then put those back in your purse and let’s finish our lunch. You’ve got some work to do at home tonight.
Minutes later Natalia and Deondre came in with a group of people, walking right past Elijah and Dominique in their quiet booth. It was Natalia who spotted Corynne and Kelvin sitting outside on the patio
Natalia: We should go say hi. Corynne was so nice to me this morning, and the looks we came up with are going to be perfect for the first photo shoot. I want to tell her thanks.
Deondre (smiling deviously): This is your signing celebration, we can do whatever you want.
Deondre put his hand on the small of Natalia’s back and guided her out the back doors of the restaurant out to the expectedly bustling patio
Deondre: Well, look who we have here!
Corynne looked up and smiled, cool as a cucumber
Corynne: Hey, Deondre, Natalia. You guys out for a break from the studio already? Seems like we just got you fitted not too long ago, lady.
Natalia (smiling eagerly): Hi. I just wanted to come over and thank you so much for everything this morning. I don’t have a clue about the whole marketing a style stuff, but you got me looking good and feeling great. I’m glad we got to work together.
Corynne (laughing): Not a problem. I’m glad you liked it! It’s up to your boss man here, but hopefully we can work together again soon.
Deondre: Are you kidding? I handpicked you for Natalia’s look. Now that she’s signed her contracts I’ll be working to take her star to the top, but I’ll need you on board to make sure she’s looking good on her way there.
Kelvin: *ahem*
Corynne: Oh, I’m sorry! Kelvin, you remember Natalia from the boutique this morning.
Kelvin nodded
Corynne: And you remember Deondre! He went to King -- used to kick it with Corey
Kelvin: Yeah. I remember Deondre and all those guys.
Kelvin and Deondre exchanged an awkward, silent greeting, making Corynne and Natalia uncomfortable
Corynne: Well, if you two will excuse me, I’m going to run to the ladies’ room
Natalia: I’ll come with you. Deondre, I’ll meet you back at the table.
Natalia and Corynne just about scurried into the restaurant and burst into the bathroom, where they found Patience at the sink washing her hands. She looked like she had been crying
Corynne (angry and concerned all at the same time): Patience! What’s wrong? And why aren’t you at work?!
Patience laughed
Patience: I let my class leave early so I could come out for a “late lunch.” Stupid as I am, I thought we would actually be able to clear the air.
Natalia: Corynne? Is everything ok?
Corynne: Don’t worry, Natalia. This is my best friend, Patience. Patience, this is Natalia. She just signed with Deondre and I’m officially her new stylist.
Patience (weakly): Oh, that’s great! I’m so happy for you! For both of you!
Natalia (smiling): Thank you.
Corynne: Girl, shut up. What happened? You were supposed to be meeting Corey here?
Patience (nodding): He left me a message telling me to meet him here at 1 so we could talk. At first I wasn’t going to come, but I figured you’ve been right all this time. He deserved to know about everything, so I was going to tell him once and for all.
Corynne looked at her watch
Corynne: And his ass didn’t even show up?
Natalia: Well, it’s only 2:15
Patience (laughing): I just feel so stupid. Like, he wasn’t going to leave his wife for me, right? Right. I just wanted some closure. Guess this book is definitely closed now!
Corynne: That’s right! He couldn’t be bothered to come collect the information he swears he wanted to bad, so you just keep on moving. What’s up with you and Will anyway?
Patience smiled
Patience: I got your message last night too, Freak Nasty. I did not go to bed with Will. We’ve only been on like 3 official dates. Can I know the brotha first?
Natalia laughed
Corynne: Chile, please. Isn’t that part of knowing him?
Natalia and Patience both laughed hard
Patience: Aaaaand we’re back. Thanks you guys. I needed a pick me up.
Corynne: Well, now you’re up. Walk out there with your head high, grab yourself a seat at the bar, pull out your phone, and call up your new boo. We’re done wasting time with Corey.
Patience: Seat at the bar?! Why can’t I come sit with you?
Natalia (with a grin): Seems Corynne has an admirer, and they’re here on a little date
Corynne gave Natalia a look
Corynne: Oh, young Natalia. I’m going to have to teach you a thing or two.
Natalia giggled
Corynne (turning to Patience): It is not a date. I’m just here having lunch with Kelvin.
Patience threw her hands up and rolled her eyes
Patience: And now I have heard it all. I’m getting the hell out of here before I accidentally get struck with a lightning bolt.
Natalia and Corynne laughed
Corynne: It’s a business thing!
Patience (opening the bathroom door): Right. I’m sure. Call me later and let me know how your business thing turns out.
Corynne laughed and shook her head
Patience: Natalia, it was nice to meet you. Don’t let this wild woman lead you down any roads you don’t want to be on.
Natalia (laughing): Yes, ma’am!
The three women headed out of the bathroom and all but ran over Corey on their way down the hall
Corynne (rolling her eyes): This guy
Corey: Patience!
Corynne: She’s not interested.
Corey: Please. I can explain.
Natalia: Really not interested
Corynne and Patience looked at Natalia and started to laugh
Natalia: What? I’m young, but I learn quick!
Corey looked confused
Patience: It’s ok, you guys. I can handle it from here.
Corynne: You call me if you need any help. I’ll send Natalia here over and she’ll take care of any problems
Corynne and Natalia walked away giggling. Patience crossed her arms in front of her chest
Corey: I’m sorry.
Patience: I don’t need all that, Corey.
Corey: I know. Something came up. I couldn’t get out of it.
Patience (bored): Sounds tragic
Corey: Seriously! Simone came up to my job insisting on going to a couples counseling session right then and there.
Patience (sarcastically): You poor dear
Corey: I didn’t have any choice
Patience: Corey, the ins and outs of your marriage to Simone are of no interest to me. I only came here to tell you about the baby so you can stop contacting me once and for all.
Corey: I’m here. I’m listening.
Corey reached out to guide Patience out of the hallway and over to a table, but she dodged his hand and walked over on her own
Patience: I did not have an abortion. Instead of moving into a dorm like the rest of my friends, I moved in with my grandmother during my pregnancy. I had the baby and gave it up for adoption. He lives with a nice family in Florida now.
Corey: He. We had a baby boy.
Patience was fighting back tears
Patience: Well, now you know all you wanted to know. Have a nice life. Good luck to you and Simone with your marriage.
Patience stood up abruptly and turned to walk away. Corey reached out and grabbed her arm
Corey: I’m moving out
Patience shook free of his grasp and continued to walk away
Corey (standing up): She’s keeping my son from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment