"Trouble Brewin' on a Boat"
The scene aboard The Purple Rose was incredibly predictable. Women sauntered around gently tossing air kisses about the cheeks of folks they hadn’t seen, spoken to or thought about in years. Men slapped each other on the back and shook hands, laughing at unspoken jokes and telling stories of the past with grand details that probably never occurred. The advent of the Internet and social networking sites seemed to have deemed these types of gatherings obsolete, but tonight Martin Luther King, Jr. High School’s class of 2000 was getting together once more for old time’s sake. Let the shenanigans begin…
The scene aboard The Purple Rose was incredibly predictable. Women sauntered around gently tossing air kisses about the cheeks of folks they hadn’t seen, spoken to or thought about in years. Men slapped each other on the back and shook hands, laughing at unspoken jokes and telling stories of the past with grand details that probably never occurred. The advent of the Internet and social networking sites seemed to have deemed these types of gatherings obsolete, but tonight Martin Luther King, Jr. High School’s class of 2000 was getting together once more for old time’s sake. Let the shenanigans begin…
Corynne: Have you seen Corey yet? You know he’s here.
Patience: With his wife, you mean? Careful not to leave that part
out.
Corynne: The site didn’t exactly say he was married
Patience: Right. His profile picture just happened to be of him with
Simone basically wrapped all around him
Corynne: I thought you guys were just friends now anyway
Patience: We are friends. That’s why I don’t know why you’re making
this a big deal
Corynne: So, it’s not a thing?
Patience: Not a thing at all
Corynne: Good, because your so-called friend just walked in, and it
looks like he’s coming over to say hi
Patience: Shit! Is he with someone?
Corynne (laughs): It doesn’t matter
Corey: Hey you
His voice was deep. His scent
was on her before she could turn around, and once she did she was met by his
smile, and a scowl on the face of the woman with him
Patience: Corey, hi! How have you been?
Corey: Been good, girl. What are you doing here?
Patience: Oh, you know, had to show my face so folks still know I’m
alive.
Corey: Right. I hear that. Well, you sure manage to clean up nice.
No jeans. No Chucks. I see you tryna do it in here!
Patience (laughs, shifting from one foot to the other): I do alright
Simone: *ahem* Good to see you, Patience. Corynne.
She clung tightly to his arm,
quite like she had been in his profile photo, tilting her head slightly to the
left in the only sign of further acknowledgement she would be giving them that
night.
Patience: Hey, Simone. It’s good to see you too. Crazy to see the two
of you are still together.
Corynne (rolling her eyes): Black love. Ain’t it
amazing?
Simone (laughs):
Amazing indeed. Thank you, Patience. Keeping a man happy is a tough job, but
somebody’s gotta do it!
Corey: So, we’re just gonna talk about me like I’m not standing
right here? Yeah, I’m cool on that. I’ll be over by the bar. Anybody want
anything?
Simone (squeezing Corey’s arm and rubbing his hand,
eyes locked on Patience): You stay
here and catch up. I know what you like. I think I see Destiny over there
anyway. Have a good evening, ladies. Do keep in touch.
Corynne: She’s just as pleasant as she ever was. Corey, you ol’ dog
you, I do not know how you do it.
Corey (laughs):
Shut up, Corynne. She’s nice when you get to know her.
Corynne: She’s been selling that story since high school, honey, and
I still ain’t buyin’ it. I do think I see one of my old freaks, though. Y’all
try to behave while I’m gone.
Corynne walks away, and the
tension between Corey and Patience is electric
Patience (nervously):
So…
Corey (taking a step closer): So, I’ve been waiting for the right time to ask – what
exactly happened with you and me?
----------
The air is warm on this
mid-July night, and the breeze coming off the water was cool. A couple
conversations and a rendezvous or two managed to spill out of the main dinner
cabin onto the deck. Cruise ship staff members often make mini-escapes out
there and stumble upon golden nuggets of hidden truths.
Natalia (raking a hand through wild brown curls): Gimme a cigarette
Asha:
Seriously, Nat? You owe me, like, a pack or somethin’ already!
Natalia (laughing):
I know, I know. I’m good for it though.
You know where I work!
Asha:
I’ll give you a cig, but you gotta tell me what happened with you and that guy
Natalia: Guy? What guy?
Asha:
Selective memory, eh? Cigarette? What cigarette? I think I’m suddenly fresh out
Natalia: Ok! Ok! I’ll tell you, even though there really isn’t
anything to tell
Asha:
Yeah right. He was being rude as hell in there when you were bringing food and
drinks around, now he’s practically following you around the cabin. What all
did you say to him?
Natalia (takes a long drag from the cigarette Asha just
lit for her): Man, I
really don’t know what you’re talking about.
Asha:
Don’t play with me. I will snatch that cancer stick right from between your
lips and toss it out into that water
Natalia (laughing):
The way I’m feeling right now I might jump my ass in after it
Asha (laughs):
That bad, huh?
Natalia: Girl, I didn’t say anything special to him at all. I just
told him talking loud and being ridiculous wouldn’t get him drinks or
appetizers any faster. He’s been following me around trying to get my number
ever since
Elijah, a trust fund baby and
sometime lawyer, comes bursting out one of the side doors
Elijah: There you are!
Natalia (rolling her eyes and putting out her cigarette): Fantastic
Asha (giggling and mumbling under her breath): This oughta be good
Elijah: I’ve been looking for you inside
Natalia (slightly bored):
Ya don’t say. You’ve found me, but as you can see I’m not carrying a tray of
anything, so I can’t possibly have anything you need.
Elijah (stepping forward): I wanted to apologize.
Natalia (rolling her eyes): Okie dokie. Have at it. I’ve got nothing but time
apparently
Elijah: Look, you’re probably not going to believe me—
Asha chuckles, watching the
scene intently, cigarette in hand
Natalia: Go on
Elijah: You’re probably not going to believe me, but I don’t always
behave that way
Natalia (hand on her hip):
Right. You’ve had a couple drinks and your lips got a little loose. I
understand. The liquor had you talking to the help all crazy, claiming you’d
have somebodies job if she spoke to you again in that manner
Elijah stepped closer before Natalia
could push him away
Elijah: I’m sorry. You didn’t deserve that.
Natalia (crossing her arms in front of her chest): Oh, I know that much.
Elijah: Please. Those guys in there – the ones I was talking to –
they have been making my life hell since we were kids in high school. I just
wanted them to know I wasn’t a pushover anymore
Natalia (shaking her head): By picking on a waitress? I have officially heard it all.
Elijah reaches for Natalia’s
arm
Asha:
Uh oh
Elijah: No! I didn’t mean it like that. Please. I feel terrible for
treating you that way
Natalia: Got it. You’re sorry. Apology accepted. Can I go now,
please?
Elijah: If I could, I’d like to make it up to you
Natalia: You can’t. We’re not supposed to take tips on this gig.
Just forget about it.
Elijah (laughing):
I don’t mean that kind of payment
Elijah reaches into his
pocket and pulls a business card out of a small gold holder
Asha:
The man looks serious
Elijah: Call me. Maybe I can take you to dinner or something
Natalia: Are you going to bring along that woman you came to this
party with as well?
Asha burst out laughing
Asha:
Nat, you are a mean little thing
Elijah: Just call me. I promise I’ll be nice.
Natalia plucked the card from
his hands and put it in her apron pocket, trying not to watch him walk back
inside
Asha:
So, now that you’re about to be getting your Pretty Woman on, can I borrow your
turquoise dress to go out after work tomorrow night? I need to find me a friend
too!
Natalia (in hushed tones):
Shut up. He is not about to be a new friend.
Asha:
Right. You’re right. He gave you a business card. That means your dealings will
be strictly professional. (she laughs)
Natalia: You see that girl with him? Green eyes , honey blond hair
wearing a red dress and sky high heels?
Asha:
I see her. How long have you been looking is the question!
Natalia: Long enough
Asha:
You know her?
Natalia: Something like that. She’s my ex.
----------
Meanwhile, over at the bar…
Destiny: And so I told her, “Lady, with hair and skin like that I won’t
be needing any recommendations from you!”
Chuckles ripple through the
crowd
Simone: Cruz, I don’t know how you deal with this one. She is a
piece of work!
Destiny wrapped her arms
around her husband’s waist, and he kissed her on her perfectly painted red lips
Cruz:
Ah, Simone. My wife is as beautiful on the outside –
Simone: As the blog she uses to try to help other women try to be?
Destiny laughs
Cruz:
I was going to say as she is on the inside.
The crowd coos
Cruz:
That is how I manage to deal with her.
Simone: Her boundless beauty and your bank account, right?
The couple laughs
Destiny: You two play nice. Monie, you remember Kelvin from school,
right?
Simone and Kelvin both nod
Kelvin: I know Simone
Simone: Do you?
Kelvin: I do. You asked me to the Sadie Hawkins dance sophomore
year (he smiles)
Simone (scowling):
And you turned me down. Clearly you didn’t know what you would be missing.
Kelvin (laughing):
I would’ve been missing my teeth because I was with somebody at the time.
Simone: Riiiiiight. What was her name again?
Cruz starts laughing and
Destiny pinches his side.
Kelvin: You forgot Corynne’s name that quick? Weren’t you just over
there talking to her a little while ago?
Simone: Mmph. We only remember the important ones.
Kelvin (still laughing):
You’re still something else, Simone.
Simone: Don’t I know it!
Destiny: Simone, Kelvin owns a barber shop just outside downtown
Simone: Is that right?
Kelvin (smiling):
Yeah. The Cut Up over on City Ave
Simone (shocked):
That’s your spot?
Kelvin nods
Cruz:
He was telling us about some real estate or office space or something he was
looking to sell not too far from there, right Kelvin?
Kelvin: Yeah. It’s a nice space. Are you interested in business and
stuff like that, Simone? I figured you probably still spent your time being
pretty and letting someone else pick up the tab!
Destiny: Kelvin! I thought we were being nice! Where is the reunion
love?
Simone (laughing):
It’s ok Destiny. He’s not that far off.
They all laugh
Kelvin: Well, let me know somethin’ then!
Destiny (suddenly animated): Simone is the reason I got into the beauty business at all.
She has wanted to open her own salon for as long as I have known her
Kelvin: Is that right?
Simone nods
Cruz:
What’s the hold up, Simone?
Simone shoots a glance at her
friend’s protruding belly in the black wrap dress she’s tastefully picked out
for the evening.
Simone:
Get back to me with that question in about a month
Cruz, Destiny and Kelvin
crack laugh hysterically
Destiny: Oh hush
Kelvin (producing a business card): Call me if you’re interested in working together. I can
give you a good deal on the property and get you linked up with some
contractors if you want
Simone: I’m definitely interested. Let me talk to my husband.
Kelvin: Husband! So there is a better half. Who’s the lucky man?
Destiny: More importantly, where is he?
Cruz: Yeah, Simone. I haven’t seen Corey since we all boarded
together. Where has he been all night?
----------
With music of their era
playing and drinks flowing freely, the dance floor becomes a lively place to be
for King High alumni. Sweaty bodies are grinding beneath the low lights much
like they did on prom night, with the consequences – or possibilities,
depending on your viewpoint – being only slightly more limitless.
Deondre: Mmmm. Damn, you still got it in all the right places.
Corynne (throwing her head back in laughter): You still pour it on real thick, Dre
Deondre: No. Right now you have got “thick” covered.
Corynne: Look, just enjoy the dance, ok? We’ve been having a good
time. Don’t go running your mouth and ruining it
Deondre (nuzzling her neck): I’m enjoying the dance. As a matter of fact--
----------spinning her around
to face him and dropping his voice to a whisper----------
Corynne: Whoa
Deondre: Take my number. We’re going to have to do this again. Real
soon.
Corynne: Is that right?
Deondre (looking Corynne up and down): That is absolutely right.
Corynne (licking her glossy lips): Why do we have to wait for a phone conversation?
Deondre (holding Corynne closer and biting his bottom
lip): Look here. I booked a cabin on the boat. I’m gon’ wear that
ass out tonight.
Corynne (laughs):
We’ll see about that. Let me tell Patience she won’t have to come looking for
me.
----------
Back out on the deck Corey
has placed his coat around Patience’s shoulders…
Corey: Things change so much in such a short span of time
Patience: I know that’s right
Corey: I didn’t want things to change between us though
Patience: Are you serious right now?
Corey: Of course I’m serious
Patience: How could things not change between us, Corey? You got
married!
Corey: It isn’t as simple as that and you know it
Patience: Whatever. Where is your wife anyway?
Corey: She was pregnant, Patience. What was I supposed to do?
Patience: I can’t tell you what you should have done, Corey. What are
you asking me to do now?
Corey: I’m asking you to give me a chance.
Patience: A chance for what? You’re married!
Corey: Stop saying that!
Patience (her voice barely above a whisper): It’s true
Corey: Look, things aren’t always how they seem. We look good on
paper, but we haven’t been happy in a long time
Patience (chuckling):
You haven’t even been together for a long time!
Corey (smiles):
Patience, you’ve always been everything for me. I just want us to be able to be
there for each other the way we were before
Patience: So, you’re telling me you need a friend?
Corey (silent for a moment as though deep in thought): I’m telling you I need you
Corey caressed Patience’s
cheek and pulled her close, nuzzling her neck
Patience: You’re not being fair
Patience’s phone chimed with
a text message from Corynne: I’m good 2nite. Call U 2morrow
Simone (with Destiny and Cruz not far behind her): What is going on out here?
wasn't quite sure where this was going then I reread it again and I began to get a little more clarity. I like the character development and the pace is good, got lost a couple of times but I'm in for the ride.
ReplyDelete