Friday, July 20, 2012

Episode Three


"Explain This Mess"


Dominique stood up to greet Natalia as she walked into The Cantina. She was wearing a peach dress that clung lightly to her curves and showed off everything that drove men crazy when they saw her then later found out she didn’t want them. She’d paired the pretty dress with peep-toe ankle boots and she wore a grubby knapsack slung over one shoulder. Yep, that was Natalia – as tough as she was soft and pretty. Dominique liked her girls that way.
Dominique (reaching for a hug): Thank you for coming.
Natalia: I wasn’t sure I should. You sounded pissed when I talked to you before.
Dominique: A chick that looks like you calling my man’s phone? Damn right I was pissed!
Natalia (laughing uncomfortably): I guess when you put it like that – but you do know there’s nothing going on, right?
Dominique: There better not be! You know how I feel about sharing my toys.
Natalia (smiling and nodding): I know that all too well. You may not know this about me, but Elijah’s not what I would consider my cup of tea.
Dominique laughed and raised a hand to signal a waiter
Dominique: Can we get two strawberry margaritas and an order of chips and guacamole to start?
Natalia (shaking her head): No drank for me! I’m going to work after this. Just bring me a glass of water, please.
Dominique nodded at the waiter and turned her attention back to Natalia
Dominique: You look really good. How have you been?
Natalia (laughing): I know I’m cute! I’ve been good – just working and trying to do my music thing.
Dominique (smiling): Still singing, huh?
Natalia: Yeah. I’m writing songs now too.
Dominique slipped off her ballet flat and gently rubbed her foot along Natalia’s calf
Dominique: So much talent in that body.
The waiter dropped off the drinks and appetizers and waited for the women to order
Natalia: A chicken quesadilla for me.
Dominique: I’ll have the grilled vegetable salad, please.
Natalia (giggling): You call yourself watching your girlish figure these days?
Dominique: Not as much as I’m watching yours. Remember when you used to sing to me?
Natalia (smiling): Yep! You used to try to sing along, but –
Dominique laughed and took a big sip of her margarita
Dominique: So, you said on the phone that you were contacting Elijah because you think he can help you.
Natalia (perking up): Yeah! I don’t know how long you guys have been together, or if you know any of his friends, but at the reunion I saw him with a guy who works in the music business. I was hoping he could introduce me.
Dominique (smiling and shaking her head): Always on the come up.
Natalia: I learned from the best.
Dominique laughed and slid her foot further up Natalia’s leg, trying to reach her thigh
Dominique: I might be able to help you out.
Natalia (shifting in her seat): You would do that? Do you even know which one of his friends I’m talking about?
Dominique (with a devilish grin): It doesn’t matter. I’ll get Elijah to introduce you to the people you need to meet, but first you’ll have to do something for me.
----------
Lunch time at King High was like feeding time at the zoo. While wild beasts caged in the bodies of teenage boys and girls ran amok outside on campus grounds, tranquility ruled in room 206, where Patience sat preparing to eat her lunch when she was startled by a knock at the door and looked up to see a figure with broad shoulders standing outside.

Patience (opening the door): What are you doing here?
Corey: Hello to you too!
Corey was carrying a bouquet of calla lilies in a vase in one hand and a large paper bag in the other
Patience (smiling): Ok. Let me rephrase. What are you doing here with all this stuff?
Corey (putting the bag on her desk and thrusting the flowers toward her): Well, I have been calling and texting all week and getting nothing, so I figured you needed a grand gesture to see that I’m serious.
Patience laughed and shook her head. She put the flowers in a window then returned to sit on the edge of her desk
Patience: Serious about what, exactly?
Corey: You!
Patience: So, you bring all your friends flowers and whatever’s in that bag to let them know you’re serious? I can’t see you bringing Deondre a dozen roses. What is in this bag anyway?
Corey reached into the bag and pulled out two plastic containers
Corey: Lunch from The Shore. I managed to spoil your appetite the last time we were there, so I thought I’d make it up to you today.
Patience (suspiciously): And the flowers?
Corey: I remember they’re your favorite.
Patience: This is some first class friendship you’re trying to build here. Are you and your wife good friends like this?
Corey: Why do you always have to bring up Simone?
Patience: Because you always forget to. I just try to remind you. That’s what friends are for!
Corey (taking a step closer, putting one leg between Patience’s knees): It’s easy to forget about Simone sometimes. The person I can’t get out of my head right now is you. I wake up to thoughts of you. I lay down with your face on my mind. I don’t know what this is, but it’s like I live you.
Patience: How can you say that?
Corey: Because it’s true
Patience: And, again, what about your wife? Shouldn’t you think of her? You have a child together. Shouldn’t you be living that?
Corey (taking Patience’s hands into his own): I love my son completely, but Simone and I haven’t loved each other in a long time. I don’t know if I was ever in love with her, but I know it takes more than love to make a marriage work. I know this is what ended our talk the other night, but we have to discuss it at some point, Patience. Right now I only love you.
Patience remained silent and turned her head to look away. Corey squeezed Patience’s hands then stroked her cheek. The two looked into each other’s eyes for what seemed like an hour before Corey pressed his lips to hers. The kiss sent tingles down Patience’s spine and curled her toes. As Corey wrapped his arms around her, pulling her further into the embrace, Patience’s head began to spin and bells sounded. Lunch time was officially over.
----------
While Carter played in a small, turtle-shaped sandbox at the park, his mother and god mother looked on from a nearby bench, where they sat catching up and discussing the final details of Destiny's upcoming baby shower.

Destiny: So, you were telling me on the phone that you're going ahead with the business plans with Kelvin. How is that going?
Simone (suddenly animated): Kelvin said we could get started on the sale and renovations right away
Destiny (smiling): Oh that’s great!
Simone: It really is. He’s going to help me with everything, and I’m so glad because that is what I need. I’ve wanted this for so long! I can’t believe it’s about to happen.
Destiny: And you’re doing all this without Corey even knowing?
Simone: Girl, Corey ain’t thinkin’ about me and what I want. All he cares about is that I’m watching this baby.
Destiny ran a hand over her protruding belly and glanced over at Carter, who was trading toys with another kid
Simone: Every time I try to talk to him about this it turns into a fight and he finds a reason to walk away. I’m tired of just being his housewife.
Destiny (biting her lip nervously): Isn’t that what you wanted when y’all got married, though?
Simone was silent for a moment, staring down at the leaves and grass near her sandaled feet
Simone: Things change, and that wasn’t the only thing I wanted.
Destiny: So, how are you going to do all this without any help from your husband?
Simone: You know my grandmomma always told me to put a little bit away for a rainy day. Seems like it’s about to start coming down real hard real soon.
Destiny (laughing): Grandmomma Mae was no joke! Ok. I’m getting excited! You haven’t been behind the chair since Carter was born, and now you’re about to open your own salon. I’m going to have to feature your spot on my beauty blog!
Simone reached over to give Destiny a hug
Simone: You’re my best friend, ya know that?
Destiny: I know, that’s why you’re throwing my baby shower next week
Simone (smiling): Yes! I am SO excited about that. We’re going to have to talk, but that party is about to be too much fun.
Destiny (laughs): Oh boy. Please remember I am pregnant. I can’t party like you used to.
Simone (laughs hard): What?! As I recall, I wasn’t partying by myself at all. Anyway, I’ve got a lot of ideas in mind. You’re gonna love it.
Destiny: I know you’ve probably sent out invitations already, but I’d like you to add someone new to the guest list
Simone: Add someone? Destiny, the party is next week!
Destiny: Simone, please. I know you can shuffle some things around. Besides, I don’t think this girl needs more than a week’s notice.
Simone (laughs): And just who is this mysterious new guest?
Destiny: I want you to invite Elijah’s new girlfriend. Her name’s Dominique. I’ll get you her number.
----------
A glass of wine was the perfect way to end the work day. Having someone to share it with? Well, that’s just icing on the cake.

Deondre (out of breath): You wasn’t playin’ when you said you needed to see me ASAP!
Corynne (laughing): You know you love it. You got your ass over here quick!
Deondre laughed and watched Corynne get out of bed and saunter out of the room still naked
Corynne (over her shoulder): I’m going to get something to drink. You want some?
Deondre (leering at her): I do want some more
Corynne (laughing and shaking her head): I bet you do, play boy
Corynne disappeared down a hall, and when she returned carrying two bottles of water Deondre was zipping up his pants and fiddling with the buckle on his belt
Deondre (taking the bottle she offered him): Mmph. You sure you can’t do another round?
Corynne (taking a sip of her water): Oh, I can. I just have other plans tonight. I’ll give you a call, though. We’ll definitely do this again.
Deondre (shaking his head): You are still something else. You better put something on then and stop teasing me.
Corynne laughed nervously, fighting hard against the lust buzzing in her bones. She was shrugging her arms into a black satin robe when she heard her doorbell
Deondre (looking at his watch): Looks like your plan for later tonight is here a little early.
Corynne (giggling): Shut the hell up. I don’t invite everybody up here to the lair.
Corynne pulled the bedroom door shut and headed downstairs to answer the door. She was only slightly shocked to find Patience on the other side
Corynne (hissing and holding her robe closed): What are you doing here?!
Patience (pushing the door open): Interrupting, obviously. I need to talk.
Patience brushed past Corynne to get inside and stopped short when she saw Deondre standing at the top of the stairs
Patience (beginning to laugh): Oh! I see!
Corynne (giving Patience a light shove on her shoulder): Oh, hush and gimme a minute. I’ll be back down when I get on some clothes.
Patience and Deondre both laughed at this. Deondre helped himself to a handful of Corynne as she walked past him
Corynne: Patience, let Deondre out.
Patience (shaking her head and smiling): I’d be delighted! So, Deondre, how have you been?
Patience and Deondre chuckled as he headed out the front door. Corynne returned a short while later, clad in boyfriend jeans and a white tank top, and plopped down and the comfy couch
Patience (raising an eyebrow): Should I even ask?
Corynne: There’s nothing to tell. I told you I was gonna work him out from time to time.
Patience: I didn’t know you meant this soon!
Corynne: You would not believe the day I had at the boutique today! Between fittings with two clients, a lunch meeting with a photographer and a special order customer, I was stressed out! I just needed something to knock the edge off.
Patience: Oh, I am certain he knocked some edge off.
Corynne (laughing): Whatever! What did you come over here to talk about? You look like you haven’t even been home yet!
Patience: I haven’t. After what happened at the school today I didn’t want to risk being ambushed again.
Corynne (laughing): I got your text about that. How did he know you were teaching summer school?!
Patience: I have no idea. I don’t know what I’m going to do about this whole thing.
Corynne: Well, you’re going to have to do something. Did you tell him about the baby yet?
Patience: You know I didn’t tell him about the baby, and stop asking me that.
Corynne: He has to know.
Patience: I’m going to tell him. I just need to figure some things out.
Corynne: What is there to figure out?!
Patience: Why is he working so hard? Why is he after me like this? I mean, it’s not like we had a full blown relationship. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I can’t just let him throw away his marriage.
Corynne (innocently): What are you talking about? I thought you said he only wanted to be friends.
Patience: That’s what he says, but I know Corey better than he knows himself. He’s calling and texting and bringing flowers and lunch, and –
Corynne: And? And what?
Patience: He kissed me.
Corynne: And you didn’t think that information should have gone in that long ass text you sent?!
Patience (laughing): I didn’t want to tell you. I knew you would make too much out of it.
Corynne: Patience, a married man came up to your job with flowers and lunch and he kissed you! What would any sane person make out of that?!
Patience: What am I supposed to do?!
Corynne (shaking her head and chuckling a bit): I can’t tell you what to do, but I can tell you a few things. From what you tell me, it sounds like his marriage has been over damn near since it started. Maybe this friendship with you is what he needs to help him make the decision to end it and move on.
Patience: Are you about to tell me to take up with this married man?! What kind of karma is going to kick me in the face later if I do that right now?!
Corynne: Honey, please. If he doesn’t move on with you he will just move on with someone else. Besides, you guys are friends. Isn’t that what friends are for?
Patience (staring at Corynne in horror): You, ma’am, are a mess. I’m pretty sure I can’t get involved with him. I just can’t do anything like that.
Corynne: Here’s the truth. You’re already in too deep. The feelings you’ve had for him since basically the beginning of time were never resolved. Now here you are with this “friend” in your face every minute of every day, and he is wearing your ass down!
Corynne and Patience laugh
Patience: Ah. You know me so well. I really don’t know where I’m supposed to go from here.
Corynne: You don’t have to know all that right now, but if you’re going to help this man get through his rocky marriage and he does decide to get a divorce, please know that does not mean he is going to open his arms and rush right out to marry you. That just isn’t the way these things work. Keep your eyes open, Friend, and protect your little heart.
Patience: I hear you.
Corynne: And you’ve got to tell him about the baby.
Patience: I swear I am tired of hearing that.
Corynne (laughing): Ok, ok. I’ve given you enough jewels of wisdom for the night. Let’s go out. You could use a drink. And call that Will guy. He could be a helpful distraction.
----------
Downtown at Elijah’s condo, Dominique was carefully putting on one of his button-up shirts. He would be home any minute and she didn’t want to have to explain anything.

Natalia (stepping back into her slinky peach dress): So, this is where you’re staying now?
Dominique walked over and gripped a handful of Natalia’s curls, pulling her head back to kiss her neck and mouth
Dominique: Yeah. Not a bad setup, right?
Natalia: I’d say. How long have you guys been together?
Dominique (smiling deviously): Long enough for me to have a key
Natalia: So, a few weeks?
Dominique and Natalia laughed for a while then fell silent
Natalia: We can’t start this again.
Dominique: I know. You just came to lunch looking so good and I missed you
Natalia: I missed you too. Honestly, we probably would’ve fallen into bed even if you hadn’t promised to help me. You are still going to help me, aren’t you?
Dominique looked at Natalia for a second before she nodded
Dominique: This isn’t like before. Elijah doesn’t know anything about my past. I want to keep it that way.
Natalia (giggling): Then you’d better get dressed!
Dominique (shaking her head): Nope! You want to network, right? Let me do what I do.
Natalia was laughing and slipping into her ankle boots, and Dominique was still wearing nothing more than a shirt, when Elijah walked through the front door
Elijah: Dom!
Dominique (rushing over and giving him a seductive hug): Hey!
Dominique stepped aside to reveal Natalia sitting at the breakfast bar
Dominique: Look who I found waiting around in the lobby for you
Natalia smiled
Elijah (with a flicker of recognition and a bit of suspicion): Oh! Hey! Was my home address on the business card I gave you?
Natalia shook her head and laughed. Dominique stepped in and wrapped her arm around Elijah’s waist
Dominique: Natalia here tells me you weren’t very nice to her at the reunion. Was there some sort of old high school feud between the two of you?
Elijah (laughing): Not even a little bit. I don’t even think she went to King. I just lost my cool for a bit. I apologize again, Natalia.
Dominique: Sounds interesting. How did I miss all this?!
Elijah (kissing Dominique’s forehead): What can I say? Life goes on even when your girlfriend runs off to powder her nose in the ladies’ room for most of the night.
Dominique laughed
Natalia (standing up): Well, Elijah, I’m sorry for dropping in on you like this. Dominique has been more than hospitable.
Dominique: Naturally.
Natalia: I just thought of a way you could help me and make up for your rudeness the other night and I wanted to talk to you about it.
Elijah (intrigued): Oh? I’d be happy to help. What can I do?
Natalia: Well, I’m a singer and a song writer. I noticed you talking with a guy at the reunion – kinda tall, brown skin, goatee, muscularish build – I’ve seen him around the music scene, and I wondered if you could introduce me.
Elijah: Hmmmm. I’m not exactly sure who you’re describing, but Dominique might be able to help us out here. Seems she knows more of my friends than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment